About MensLine Australia
MensLine Australia is the national telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. This free service is available from anywhere in Australia and is staffed by professional counsellors experienced in men’s issues.
MensLine Australia provides:
- A safe place to talk about concerns
- Confidential and non-judgmental support
- Coaching and practical strategies for managing personal relationship and mental health concerns
- Relevant information and links to other appropriate services and programs as required
- Callers have access to 24-hour support, anywhere anytime.
For service information in different languages, please visit our Languages page.
MensLine Australia is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services and is delivered by professional counsellors at Lifeline.
MensLine Australia: Who we help
Our MensLine Australia professional counsellors are experts in men’s mental health, anger management, family violence (using and experiencing), substance abuse, healthy relationships and wellbeing.
MensLine Australia is for all men and all types of relationships.
A counselling style preferred by men
When faced with a problem, men are often more focused on solutions than talking about their feelings. Our counsellors recognise this preference and offer a practical approach to counselling, while also encouraging men to deal with important emotional issues. The benefits of telephone and online counselling are particularly attractive to men, who often find it tough to ask for help and may find face-to-face discussions about difficult issues confronting.
MensLine Australia’s phone and online counselling provides a safe environment for men to talk about their problems.
Types of counselling services available
MensLine Australia offers a range of ways to access our free, professional counselling and support services:
- Single session – call 1300 78 99 78 for immediate support, available 24/7
- Multi-session – You may be eligible to receive up to four free telephone counselling sessions, scheduled at times to best suit your needs.
- Online chat counselling – text-based counselling available through the MensLine Australia website. Click on the chat button on the right to get started.
- Video counselling – face-to-face video counselling. This may be particularly helpful for men who are not able to access face-to-face counselling because of geographic and social isolation
- Assisted referrals – referring services or agencies who have established protocols with MensLine Australia can assist their clients to link directly with MensLine Australia.
Relevant information and referral to men’s services
MensLine Australia’s counsellors have access to relevant information and can refer callers to men’s services anywhere in the country.
SPA Accreditation Status
MensLine Australia is working towards accreditation with Suicide Prevention Australia’s Standards for Quality Improvement.