It’s the best night of the year! Right? Not always, unfortunately. The truth is that New Years Eve can be whatever you want it to be: a quiet night at home or a big night out on the town.
But the easiest way to ruin a great New Years Eve is to lose your mate, or get into trouble – big or small. So this year, consider the things you can do to have a good night and take care of your mates.
Five things to keep in mind this New Years Eve
- Make sure you eat. Everyone needs a good meal in their belly to make sure that they have the fuel to make it through New Years Eve.
- Try having a glass of water in between drinks. It can slow down your drinking and help you to feel better the next day. So grab yourself a glass of water and one for your mate!
- Stay in touch. Make sure your phone is charged, and check in with your mates often. No one needs to get left behind or lost.
- Consider how everyone is getting home. Make sure no one drives if they are over the legal limit. This may mean having sleepovers on the couch and hosting friends for all of New Year’s Day. Be prepared!
- If your mate is a bit of a hot head, plan to intercept any negativity pronto. Maybe that means having a word with your mate ahead of time, or pulling them away and distracting them if you start to see them tense up.
If you or a mate are in immediate danger or at risk, call 000.
If you’re feeling down, or worried about your mates, our team of counsellors work around the clock so call anytime 1300 78 99 78.