Terms like ‘wellbeing’ and ‘wellness’ get a lot of attention nowadays and although it can seem like a fad, there’s nothing trivial or ‘flavour of the month’ about looking out for your emotional well being.
It’s just like running your car – if you don’t take care of it and conduct some basic maintenance, the problems begin to build up and could cost you a pretty penny when it comes time for a major service!
Luckily, there’s lots of ways to keep up the maintenance of your emotional well being and in even better news, they won’t feel like an effort!
Here’s a few tips on some easy ways to take care of your mental health:
- Stay in touch with friends and family – these pieces give some great ideas about taking care of past, present and future social connections and how important they can be to your emotional well being.
- Sign up to play a team sport – it’s not only about the exercise (which is a great thing too to keep you feeling good inside and out) but the social side of things is really beneficial too. As this infographic from Happify shows, sports with social interactions tend to make us the happiest.
- Join a men’s shed – if you’re good with your hands, men’s sheds provide a great space to work alongside like-minded blokes on interesting projects and pick up some new skills too!
- Volunteer – there’s heaps of evidence that shows that ‘doing good’ has significant benefits to our emotional well being. Charities and community organisations are always on the lookout for helping hands – find a cause you can relate to and sign up to lend a hand.
- Mindfulness – not an airy fairy trend, but a evidence backed approach to helping you become more calm and self-aware. Learn more about mindfulness here
- Soak up some nature healing – most of us know the recharging benefits of spending some time in the great outdoors. Now a growing body of evidence is providing the scientific backing to what we already recognise. Learn more about nature healing and its effect on depression, stress and anxiety.
- Adopt a furry (or not so furry) friend. Pets are a proven way of giving your life greater meaning, increasing movement, lifting your mood, increasing feelings of belonging and reducing stress. Learn more about the latest research into the benefits of pets here.
- Tap into the healing power of music! Music can be such a powerful way of soothing your soul, getting some energy out or finding solace in feeling and experiences similar to your own. The best part about it is that there is no set music you need – it’s just whatever you enjoy and works for you. Keep your eyes peeled in future months when we delve into this area in some more detail!
Its basically all about getting back in touch with things you enjoy, or discovering new activities that you might never have tried. It’s all good for your emotional well being, so find your preferred path and get into it!