Ten ways to become a better partner
Relationships are at the core of our lives. Relating and engaging with others can result in a mixed bag of emotions, such as excitement, fear, anticipation, elation, struggle, closeness, dread, intimacy and loneliness. In a positive relationship, both partners feel valued, loved and nurtured.
To get the most out of your relationship, consider the following tips:
- Develop a sense of trust - that is feeling that you can both be seen, heard, understood and accepted.
- Recognise that physical closeness is only one expression of intimacy. Intimacy can be verbal (e.g. telling your partner why you love them or things that you love about them), and it can also be expressed by doing special things for your partner or generally helping out with daily living tasks.
- Acknowledge each other’s need to be autonomous and to make your own decisions sometimes.
- Create a safe and open place, where you can both express problems, doubts, fears and weaknesses without fear of rejection or punishment.
- Be willing to communicate. This often includes sharing feelings, needs and wants. Note: Listening to your partners problems does not necessarily mean you are responsible for solving them.
- Be open to negotiate around your differences with respect and generosity. You are not going to get your own way all the time.
- Aim to be aware of personal issues you bring to the relationship (sometimes called ‘baggage’), and take responsibility for these. Also be aware of the expectations you may place on others and assess how realistic they are.
- Regular time alone gives you space to recharge and rebalance. This will allow you to give more in your relationship in the long-run.
- Maintain and build a supportive network of friends outside the relationship. No single relationship will meet every need.
- Develop the capacity to not take yourself and everything else too seriously.
For support on this topic
For general peer support and advice in relation to this topic, please visit our forum.
MensLine Australia has professional counsellors available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, providing confidential and anonymous information and support for all relationship issues. Call us on 1300 78 99 78 or register for online counselling